The Software Engineer will be involved in the creation of new software programs and enhancements to existing software. In this role they will be developed to work on all aspects of the software life cycle, following approved life‐cycle processes, including where needed researching, scoping and estimating, system design, development of new code, unit-testing, production, and deployment. All design and code is to be of good quality and written in-line with agreed guidelines and standards.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Research, design, write and unit test new software programs.
- Enhance existing software, by analysing and identifying areas for modification. Write and unit testing the new code.
- Investigate issues identified either by Alemba customers or the Alemba QA team and, where needed, create and unit test code fixes or workarounds for these issues.
- Work closely with the Alemba QA team to correct defects identified to ensure that Alemba releases high quality software through efficient and effective testing.
- Work closely with the Alemba Service Desk and Professional Services teams, to assist where needed in the resolution of customer issues, and completion of customer upgrades and customisations to Alemba software.
- Follow appropriate Alemba project management processes at all times, including the correct and full use of the Engineering recording tools, personal participation in daily stand ups or other progress meetings (where geography / timing permits) and/or production of regular written progress updates for the designated team lead/ VP Engineering as requested.
- To work at all times within the agreed technology frameworks, as appropriate for each project.
- BSc (Hons) in Computer Science / Software Engineering or related degree, or equivalent.
- Competent at database development in MS SQL.
- Any experience of software development in a commercial environment is beneficial.
- Takes a structured approach to problem analysis using solid design methodologies.
Professional & Personal Qualities:
- Highly Responsible – An individual who is able to take on responsibility for an activity and see it through to its conclusion, to the satisfaction of all stakeholders.
- Work Skills and Habits – A high energy individual who is able to work to deadlines.
- Attention to Detail – Ability to undertake detailed support activities with accuracy and reliability.
- Strong Communication Skills – Ability to effectively communicate and understand, ideas and concepts with other team members including Customer, Partner and Alemba representatives.
- Cross Functional Team Working – Ability to communicate and work cooperatively with other teams, including the customer or third party suppliers; adjusting the approach and level of technical language, etc., as appropriate.
- Problem Solving Skills – Ability to resolve problems. A degree of creativity and latitude is required